Federal Regulation D Overview
Federal Regulation D establishes the monetary reserve amount that financial institutions are required to maintain at the Federal Reserve Bank. The amount to be held is determined by the amount and mix of its deposits. Deposits are categorized under two general account types, transaction account and non-transaction account:
- Regulation D defines a transaction account as one that allows unlimited third-party transfers and does not impose early withdrawal penalities. Golden 1 Checking Accounts are transaction accounts.
- Regulation D identifies all other accounts as non-transaction accounts. This category includes Golden 1 Regular Savings Accounts, Youth Savings Accounts, Santa SaverSM Accounts, Money Market Savings Accounts, and Certificate Accounts. The regulation does not permit more than six electronic withdrawals or transfers per calendar month for these accounts.
LIMITED Electronic Withdrawals for Non-Transaction Accounts:
- Automatic transfers to other accounts (STS)
- Preauthorized payments to a third party (ACH withdrawals)
- Online banking transfers
- Telephone TellerSM transfers
- Transfers done over the phone with a Member Service Representative (including wire transfers)
- Overdraft transfers
- Point of Service (POS) transactions
UNLIMITED Electronic Withdrawals for Non-Transaction Accounts:
- Withdrawals done in person at one of our branch locations
- Transfers done in person at one of our branch locations
- Cash withdrawals at an automated teller machine (ATM)
- Transfer requests made at an ATM
- Withdrawals (made payable to "self") using Telephone Teller
- Withdrawals (made payable to "self") requested by phone through a Member Service Representative
- Automatic loan payments made on a Golden 1 loan
- Withdrawals requested by mail
Any transfer requests (including overdraft transfers) that are received after you have exceeded your limit of six will be rejected. In addition, any ACH debits that are received after the limit has been exceeded will be returned for insufficient funds.
To avoid exceeding Regulation D limits on non-transaction accounts:
- Make recurring electronic payments from your checking account instead of your savings;
- Keep sufficient balances in your checking account to avoid overdrafts;
- Use a line of credit (e.g., Golden 1 Personal Line of Credit or Equity My WaySM) for overdraft protection instead of a savings account;
- Perform transfers (including wire transfers) at an ATM or in person at one of our branch locations.*
If you have any questions, please contact our Member Service Contact Center at 1-877-GOLDEN 1 (1-877-465-3361) during our regular business hours.